Social Media Today has become a medium of conveying what we feel to the type of people we want to share. It is a medium of connecting with potential people with people we want to connect. But Everything has its pros and cons and so has social networking. Among the bright side Most business owners and entrepreneurs will tell you that having the right connections can make a huge difference in the success or failure of a business.
But looking on the other end, Spending too much time on social media-chatting, group chatting. It is also wasting a huge time especially of youngsters who are 24*7 active on such social networks.
The fact remains that Social networking on the Internet is important in this day and age because the Internet is the place to be for everything. Internet is full of social networking sites and tools that make it very easy to connect with others.
Major Pros And Cons :
- PRO: Social networking sites spread information faster than any other media.Over 50% of people learn about breaking news on social media. There are still 65% of reporters and editors use sites like Facebook and LinkedIn for story research, and 52% use Twitter. Social networking sites are the top news source for 27.8% of Americans, ranking close to newspapers (28.8%) and above radio (18.8%) and other print publications (6%).
- CON: Social media enables the spread of unreliable and false information. 49.1% of people have heard false news via social media. As false rumors spread like fire.It is a disadvantage that too many people think that it is a true news and start believing it.
- PRO: Law enforcement uses social networking sites to catch and prosecute criminals.Social media helps solve crimes more quickly. As they tag the photo of the criminal to almost all the big groups of that area and within no time the criminal is caught.
- CON: Social networking sites lack privacy and expose users to government and corporate intrusions.13 million users said they had not set or did not know about Facebook’s privacy settings and 28% shared all or nearly all of their posts publicly. The 2009 IRS training manual teaches agents to scan Facebook pages for information that might “assist in resolving a taxpayer case.” 4.7 million Facebook users have “liked” a health condition or medical treatment page, information that is sometimes used by insurance companies to raise rates.
- PRO: Social networking sites provides help to students do better at school.
According to a report 59% of students report that they use social networking sites to discuss educational topics and 50% use the sites to talk about school assignments.
- CON: Students who are heavy social media users tend to have lower grades.
It is futher observed that Social media does more to distract students than to help academically. After four hours of screen time, average GPAs dropped one full grade.